The option of international internships
Internships have become so commonplace in resumés these days that they barely impress the employers anymore. An international internship, on the other hand, conveys your global experience and exposure along with several other features to give you an edge over other job-seekers. If you are looking to study or work abroad, interning in a foreign country is the best head start for your future career plans.
As a low cost programme with enormous learning incentives, an international internship is the latest addition to the list of musts for aspiring students.
What is an International Internship?
An international internship is a work programme based outside the country. These are full-time or part-time positions that involve employment under a government or private organization providing training as well as hands-on work experience for a job position in a particular field. These internships are available for graduates and students currently enrolled for a course. International internships could involve both paid and unpaid work in an organisation.
Why Should You Intern Abroad?
While an internship is the best way to increase your job opportunities in a chosen field, an international internship offers you a great chance to gain a global exposure and knowledge along with enhancing your job prospects, both domestic and foreign.
It’s not just an ornamentation to your resumé, as it is commonly perceived to be. With the primary objective of acquainting you with the professional world at a global level, an international internship serves as a learning experience that teaches you an independent lifestyle, marketable skills, network-building, and much more. For students who are planning to study abroad, an internship outside the country can provide a taste of what pursuing overseas education could be like.
An international internship is beneficial for you in the following ways:
- Gaining intercultural awareness about the work environment – An international work experience such as an international internship offers you the substantial knowledge about the different work cultures around the world. It facilitates the development of your work style and ethics.
- Foreign language competency – Proficiency in a third language is considered as an impressive feature on a resumé. With your stay at a non-Anglophone foreign country for the duration of an internship, you may acquire enough acquaintance and confidence with the local language to impress to any potential employer.
- Building personal and professional networks with people – One of the most crucial aspects of the professional world is the network one builds in one’s career. An international internship provides you with the opportunity to interact and influence people in your profession so as to build a useful professional network.
- Increasing career prospects – Working as an intern is the best way to get a full-time placement in an organisation. Such an opportunity not only connects you to the right people for furthering your career, but also helps you enhance your skill set and work experience to bring multiple job options for your consideration.
- Broadening Outlook – Expanding one’s perspectives is a principal advantage of pursuing an international internship. Communication with students and interns from across the world broadens your understanding and knowledge of how the world works.
- Acquiring hands-on employment experience in the chosen field – The biggest benefit of interning is the experience you gain while working real time. An international programme helps you develop hands-on skills for employment options abroad.
- Personal growth – Exploring a new country facilitates enrichment of the personality and offers a great recreational experience as well.
The significance of an experience such as this lies in the value it adds to your career vis-a-vis the cost that you incur for the programme. Interning abroad is highly beneficial in providing you the advanced skill set in exchange for a low price. The money involved is less as well as reasonable compared to education programmes based outside the country. The low expenditure makes for a great reason to venture abroad and take in as much knowledge and experience as you can.
International Internships as a Low Cost Alternative for Overseas Education
Studies abroad are not as affordable as desired by students. Financial inability is a common deterrent in overseas education plans. If you are weighing your finances and your prospect of pursuing education outside country, then an international internship – a low cost global learning experience – can prove to be a middle path in solving the problem.
Apart from finances, pursuing overseas education is still a far-fetched option for students with low grades or those who don’t have the proper support from their families due to the long span of the course. There are multiple reasons for not studying abroad. But, in an international internship, you can keep aside your worries regarding these issues and actually gain knowledge overseas. There are various programmes available for different time durations to choose from. All you need to do is meet the minimum requirements as set by the internship program.
You get a global learning experience at a low cost through international internships. Not a bad deal at all.